Friday, March 13, 2009

U2's new album, and why I haven't heard it


U2 have released a new album recently, and I have yet to listen to anything more than the twenty seconds or so of each song you can hear from it off of iTunes. I am a big U2 fan, I have all their albums and own at least two (for sure) live performance DVD's. I am a fan of Bono, the saint that he is, and I hope to one day see him perform live. 

So why am I not giving No Line on the Horizon a try just yet? The answer is complicated... I think I am afraid of not liking it. I am also currently going through a folk phase (you can find band names on the right side of this page) and I don't think that acoustic rhythms recorded in a shed go well with the Edge's sweet never-ending guitar delay. This new album is like that Christmas gift you are afraid to open, and I must admit - I have done some peeking, and I am generally unimpressed by what I have sampled off of iTunes. Only 30 seconds of each song, but still... I don't hear any riffs that catch me, I don't feel any emotion, I don't readily recognize any anthems.

I think I am going to ride out this folk wave I'm on, and then stick myself in a dark room one afternoon and give this new album a play through the headphones. The last thing I would want to do is judge a book by it's cover... 


If you have heard it and have an honest opinion let me know what you think.


1 comment:

Kyle Burkholder said...

$3.99 on amazon mp3 store. can't miss for that price - and yet, with low expectations you should like it just fine.

may even hear folk-inspired themes in there.

why am i selling you on something that i am not sold on...? i don't know.